I attended the portofolio tasting of Gilbeys Wines & Boutinot Wines to try their new wines at Mc Swiggan’s in Galway yesterday. There were lots of great wines they added to their portfolio that I enjoyed tasting.
Some other French wines I wanted to highlight from the tasting:
- Cave de Florensac Picpoul de Pinet, 2016, AOC Picpoul de Pinet
- Trimbach Pinot Blanc, 2016, AOC Alsace
- Laurent Kraft Domaine Des Lauriers Vouvray Sec, 2016, AOC Vouvray
- Joseph Drouhin Pouilly-Vinzelles, 2014, AOC Pouilly-Vinzelles
- Domaine des Clos Godeaux Les Maupas, 2016, AOC Chinon
- Joseph Drouhin Maranges 1er Cru, 2013, AOC Maranges
The tasting followed by lunch hosted by Nigel Wilkinson, MS of Boutinot Wines.
I had warm mixed nut crusted goats cheese with redcurrant sauce paired with Poderi Colla Langhe Pinot Noir 2013 for the starter followed by the main course. The baked cod with pistachio nut butter was beautifully cooked and it was paired with Boutinot, Cotes du Rhone Villages Rosé 2016. The other option for the main course on the menu was pan fried chicken breast with Bordelaiese souce paired with Boutinot Les Coteaux du Rhone Villages 2012. For the desert I had strawberry cheesecake paired with a beautiful English Sparkling Henners Brut, NV.
My thanks to Philippe from Le Petit Pois, Therese O’Toole and Douglas Murray from Gilbeys, Nigel Wilkinson MS from Boutinot Wines, Mc Swiggan’s team and many others who worked to organize this event.